Although perception studies have proven workers feel much better when they use anti-fatigue mats, Wearwell wanted to go a step further and prove that anti-fatigue matting actually increases worker productivity- resulting in real saving for the company. This study examines the bottom-line impact of using anti-fatigue matting and essentially proves a positive return on investment (ROI).
Wearwell’s 12-month ergonomics study was designed to answer several questions:
- Does standing on the job contribute to fatigue?
- Does the use of anti-fatigue matting lessen standing workers’ fatigue?
- Can using anti-fatigue matting be linked to increased worker productivity?
- Can anti-fatigue matting generate cost savings?
The company used in the study was a manufacturer of commercial ovens. It was the largest and “best” in terms of wages and benefits employer in a 30-mile radius, but with a high injury rate and a high rate of absenteeism- as high as 10% on Mondays.
- Their current work surface (i.e. concrete)
- The overall level of fatigue before and after their shift
- The fatigue and discomfort level of their legs and feet before and after their shift
Once the matting was installed, the workers then completed that same questionnaire on a monthly basis for 12 months. The workers’ perceptions were very clear. The participants felt considerably less fatigued before and after work when using anti-fatigue mats. In addition, the “at risk” areas of their bodies, such as legs, feet, and lower back, were much more comfortable when anti-fatigue mats were used.
The numbers prove it. Through this study, Wearwell was able to prove that anti-fatigue matting is good for employees and good for the business. The company studied realized a cost savings of $360,000 over the course of the one year study.
Find all of Wearwell’s products at Production Automation! Just click HERE to start shopping.
If you have any questions on the right mat for your application, you can always contact Production Automation at 888-903-0333 or by email at [email protected]